Ready to up your writing game? Whether you’re just starting out or you’re a seasoned veteran, it helps to keep a writing toolbox nearby to keep you learning, earning and growing. As I’ve grown my own freelance writing business, I’ve discovered tremendous value in the products/services, training resources, books, and websites and mentioned below.
Please note: If you click on any of the Freelance Writer’s Den product links below, I will get a small commission, since I’m an Affiliate. Just wanted to give you a heads up. If you’re thinking about buying any of these particular products, I’d appreciate if you use my referral links. It will cost you nothing and will give me a little extra pocket change so I can fund my coffee addiction.
- Freelance Writer’s Den (Fee-based, only open to new members a few times a year, but you can get on the waiting list). The $25/month fee gives you access to 100+ hours of training, bootcamp webinars, writers forums, live trainings, job boards and more. Great career investment!
- Make a Living Writing
- The Renegade Writer
- The Write Life
- Freelance Writer’s Den Bootcamps: Most are free with Writer’s Den membership, with courses such as Earn Big with E-Learning, Freelance Business Bootcamp, Build a Writer’s Website that Works, How to Get Great Clients and more.
- Useful Writing Courses: Affordable courses such as Journalism Crash Course, Article Writing Master Class, and the Freelance Writer’s Pitch Clinic.
- 88 Money-Making Writing Jobs by Robert Bly
- The Comedy Bible by Judy Carter
- Comedy Writing Secrets, 2nd edition, by Mel Helitzer
- The New Rules of Marketing & PR by David Meerman Scott
- The Renegade Writer by Linda Formichelli and Diana Burrell
- The Renegade Writer’s Query Letters That Rock by Linda Formichelli and Diana Burrell
- Secrets of a Freelance Writer by Robert Bly
- The Ultimate Guide to Marketing Your Freelance Writing by Linda Formichelli
- Write for Magazines: A Self-Study E-Course to Help You Break In & Earn More by Linda Formichelli
- Writer for Hire: 101 Secrets to Freelance Success by Kelly James-Enger
- Writer’s Market
- Simply Bill: An easy way to invoice clients, stay on top of overdue payments, send clients payment reminders and thank you notes, and track your income. It’s secure, cloud-based, customizable with your logo, and free if you send 1-3 invoices/month. But, if you need more bandwidth, Simply Bill offers low-cost plans starting at just $5/month.
- MailChimp: If you want a simple way to stay in touch with your email subscribers, sign up for MailChimp. (I’m not tech-savvy, but even I was able to figure out the basics of sending out email campaigns through this service.) It’s free for your first 2,000 subscribers.